Sunday, 10 November 2013

What to do when a dog ....

WOW it really is so lovely to know so many people love Mack.
The poor old fella, it really was not fair to have been attacked by another dog while out walking minding his own business, plodding along (he walks terribly slow these days) and for this to happen in his twilight years.


Mack is not too happy about having to be  in the outdoor cat run during the day
It is fully concreted and the best place to have him to ensure no dirt gets in his wounds.
There are  no cats staying at the moment and I can fully clean away any smell of dog when Mack is all better, 

 It's back to having Stella and Mack separated - it really is a good idea if another animal is sore.
Stella misses playing and walking with her friend Mack.
This photo shows slightly his chest wound and his arm wound which goes right to the bone. OUCHY.
Hope not too graphic - I prefer not to look at graphic images myself.


 Of course special treatment is given to the poor old fella - bacon n eggs for his breakfast as he has to have something nice in his tummy for all his meds.


Both the vets and the dog ranger have praised Brent for his quick thinking and me too of course I think Brent was soo brave. The dog that attacked is NOT a breed I would recommend anyone taking on and my heart is still pounding.

There is no way I or the kids could of done what Brent did . I spent yesterday morning on the net searching what to do if a dog comes running out and attacks while walking or riding the bike. Many are just too mandy pandy - stay still, don't run, don't look at the dog  Yea like that is going to save your dog, child or self.

The following videos are the best I found - I learnt some great tips. Warning if you have young children I would watch it first then I would show parts to my young child.

>




22 comments:

  1. Realistic videos, and scary as well. Now Brent, where are the knee photos?? Poor Mack, he will be so sore, and is he going to be OK to go walking again? I always wonder if they have a memory like ours, that links scary events to the same situation? Hope all healing going to plan, and Mack likes solitary days for a while . Greetings to all, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mack doesn't like being in the cat run but it is best for a few days - better than getting dirt in it. We pop down and see him with tit bits and cuddles. He sleeps in house at night as he normally does.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  2. glad the old chap is enjoying some pampering and gourmet snacks :-) Hope Brent is getting similar spoiling LOL
    Great videos, we sometimes pass dogs on leads who lunge at us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don;t mind if dogs are on leads. But running free without an owner - no thank you! The kids are teasing me that I'll turn into Mrs Kravitz off Bewitched... the dog ranger gave me HER cell phone number... I will be texting her if dogs are walking free with no owner. Love Leanne

      Delete
  3. I just couldn't bring myself to watch the videos yet. I find the thought very scary. I was attacked and bitten when I was a teen and I'm still wary at my age. Poor Mack, it looks like you are pampering him up right though. :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a fear of other dogs. I watched it and it has helped my fear a lot. Just knowing of things to do and not do it a good thing. But you watch when you are ready.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  4. Oh poor Mack I'm glad he is recovering that's really scary. It annoys me when dog owners don't keep their dogs on leads when out. Mack is such a beautiful boy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dog that attacked Mack was a breed that should NEVER be free. The owner was not even home and the dog is allowed to roam free. I now have the cell phone number of the dog ranger... and she said I can text her any time I see a dog walking free without their owners.. I will be texting! Love Leanne

      Delete
  5. OMG!!! I watched these video's EVERYONE should watch these. Thank you Leanne.
    Hugs to Mac.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great aye. I feel empowered to have the knowledge of what to do if this happens - I sure Hope it never ever does. Brent did everything right and saved Mack's life.Love Leanne

      Delete
  6. Why oh hwy don't people lock up their dogs. Put down the people I say. Glad mac is getting so spoilt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela it is going to be interesting of how all of this is handled. The law is pretty weak and the fines laughable.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  7. Glad that Mr Mack is up and around, and we hope not too sore. I am a bit too scared to watch the videos, dog attacks scare me too.

    Julie and Poppy Q
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie - try and watch the videos as he gives some really wonderful tips of ways you can keep safe.It has shaken me especially the breed of dog and I'm hugely greatful Brent reacted so quickly and stunned the dog that attacked. It is reassuring knowing he is in the pound.We will be informed if he is released back to the owner...
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  8. Youch! Poor Mack...Looks like he getting lots of TLC. You are such good and responsible animal-loving humans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good videos btw. Thanks for posting them!

      Delete
  9. Oh, poor Mack. He looks to be such a sweetie. Good to hear that his wounds are fixable and that he is on the mend. His breakfast looks wonderful and I bet he really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mack is a gentle giant he is a very sore old fella.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  10. We love Mack! Love from Rose, Tony and Big Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mack sure laps that up! (And Brent he loves anyone who likes his dog) SMILE
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness, the poor fella! I hope he mends well. Dog attacks are quite frightening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna terrifying - once this has been dealt with via the legal system I will share photos of the dog and the breed.
      Love Leanne

      Delete

I