Friday, 29 November 2013

Naturopath in training.

SQUEAL I passed my herb unit with a merit. The college doesn't give out merits or excellences as a rule so I'm pretty thrilled.

Here's one of my answers about preparing infusions.

a.    Describe how to prepare an infusion.

There are three ways to make an infusion, a cold water infusion, a hot water infusion for an herb tea, or a nourishing herbal infusion

A cold infusion

Generally cold infusions are used rarely but are necessary for herbs that are best prepared by cold water infusion. For example wild cherry bark and especially marshmallow roots are best used with cold water infusion. 

To make an infusion place herb in a clean mason jar.
Fill with luke warm water
Place lid on jar and let steep for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Strain and then use 

An herbal tea infusion.

An herbal tea is herbs steeped in hot water for a short time. It is very similar to making a cup of tea but whereas traditional tea the steeping time is usually a few minutes an herbal tea is usually left to steep for 10 – 15 mins. It is best to use a ceramic or glass tea pot, not a stainless steel one.  .

My preference when making an Herbal tea infusion is to use fresh herbs from the garden, I especially enjoy lemon verbena picked freshly off the bush. As fresh herbs contain a large amount of water more herbs are needed than dry – approx. double the amount compared to dried herbs but it is personal preference.

If using fresh herbs chop or lightly bruise to aid extraction
Place herb or herbs into the pot
Pour just before point of  boil, water over the herbs.
Place lid on tea pot this stops the volatile oils escaping.
Steeping the tea is a matter of preference and use of the infusion.
If wanting a refreshing herbal tea and using dried herbs steep the tea for about 20 minutes. If using freshly picked herbs about 10 minutes any longer and the tea can become bitter, again it is personal taste.
Strain using a tea strainer and pour into tea cup.  Add honey if required.


My Herbal Tea of Delight Blend.

25 grams dried chamomile
25 grams dried lime/ Linden flowers
25 grams dried vervain.
12 grams dried feverfew
12 grams dried lavender
12 grams dried peppermint

Mix together well and keep in a sealed container.
To use add 2-4 teaspoons per mug of water
A very relaxing tea blend for periods of stress or to have before going to bed.


Nourishing Herbal Infusion.
Susun Weed recommends that nourishing infusions need to be steeping overnight to get the most benefit, and a large amount of herb at a time.
 1 cup of dried herb is placed in a 1 litre jar.
Bring water nearly to the boil and pour over the herbs.
Place lid on jar and leave to steep overnight.
In the morning strain and put the herb in the compost and drink the liquid a cup at a time. Keep the remainder of nourishing liquid in the fridge and depending on the herb, drink – approx. 2-4 cups during the day.


Susun Weed recommends dry herbs to be used for nourishing infusions over fresh herbs since the minerals and other phytochemicals in nourishing herbs are made more accessible by drying. Drying the plant breaks the cell wall.  When the boiling water is poured over the dried herbs the weakened cell walls open and the mineral salts inside the cells come into the infusion 

What is your favourite herbal infusion?

19 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of fresh thyme tea for drinking to stop coughing. Works every time.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thyme is one of my all time favs herb and I think it will be my herbal ally for 2014.

      Delete
  2. Merit, well done!!! You do so deserve this, wonderful news. I guess my fav is lemon grass , stalks cut then immediately steeped in hot water, left to cool a little, so refreshing on hot days .Cheers, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried lemon grass tea - will do as we have it in the garden more for cooking but I will try.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  3. Golly I forgot to say congratulations! Well done you.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smile thank you - I'm really enjoying the course - sent in Zone therapy this week and about to start on aromatherapy today.
      Love leanne

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Julia I am loving the course. - A tad tired and feel like a hermit as I'm having to say no to lots of things so I can get everything done. But it will be so worth it in the end.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  5. That is wonderful news Leanne, I am so thrilled for you. As for faves: I am on a chai kick, a chai I make myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll pop over to your blog I wonder if you have shared over there about your home made Chai - I;m way behind blog reading sorry. PS Mack is back on the pain killers sob.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  6. well done, what a great achievement!
    My favourite infusion? hmm, juniper berries... Oh, wait a minute, they call that gin don't they? well I'll be blowed :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is easy to see why you passed with merit. Well done! I don't remember hearing of a nourishing infusion before. Can you give an example when would one use one of these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susun Weed is the queen of nourishing infusions google her. She is a really interesting woman - would love to meet her
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on your accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - it would be nice if the college awarded degrees with passed with merit or passed with excellence - but they don't everyone passes with a pass or a fail. There is no scale to show which students apply themselves more or not. Love Leanne

      Delete
  9. Congratulations and thanks for sharing the infusion information; all very interesting. I didn't know about the benefits of drying the herbs. In future also, I'll bruise my kawakawa leaves before making my herb tea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations you clever girl!!! It's not hard to see that herbs are a passion for you....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations!! Seeing results for your hard work is awesome.

    ReplyDelete

I