Thursday, 14 November 2013

Food Budget

I'm currently working away on a nutrition assignment for my naturopath study (LOVING IT)


Wellington

Basic

Moderate

Liberal

Man7091109
Woman6686103
Adolescent Boy89115138
So for our family 1 adult, 2 woman and 1 teenage boy our figures are per week

Basic $296.00 
Moderate $383.00
Liberal $461.00

PLUS $40.40 per family of four (2 adults and 2 children) for non food items eg toilet, paper goods.

I'm really really interested to hear from blog readers and friends if these weekly budgets feels right for your family. 

Here's one of my frugal budget meals which ALL the family enjoy

Lentils with pumpkin stew.

 Made with lentils. They are cheap, nutritious full of antioxidants, selenium, and B vitamins, all of  which boost the immune system. High in protein, iron, folate and fiber, And it's an allergy free meal everyone can eat 


Feeds 4 adults with left overs for lunch the next day.

3 cups of  lentils.
2 tins of whole peeled tomatoes in juice
about 600g of pumpkin peeled and chopped.
1 onion diced
3 cloves of garlic crushed
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon of paprika
good handful of fresh parsley chopped
good handful of fresh coriander chopped
olive oil
salt n pepper

Lentils are best if soaked for a little bit - even if it is just half an hour. But they do not have to be soaked. Do make sure you rinse the lentils well before you begin cooking them. I rinse mine by putting into a strainer and as rinsing through running water I pick over and remove any shrivelled lentils..

Place lentils in a pot and add about 2 litres of cold water. bring to the boil and skim off the top any scum that comes up.

In a fry pan add a bit of olive add onion and cook until soft. Lastly add garlic to just sauté. Add all the spices quickly toss then add all to the lentils.

Add the chopped pumpkin, tinned tomatoes and chopped herbs.
Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.or until pumpkin and lentils are tender
Add more water if needed.
Lastly add salt n pepper 
Serve sprinkled with extra parsley or coriander with crusty sour dough bread,

Meat free, egg free, nut free, wheat free, gluten free, dairy free. Plus a frugal quick meal.

26 comments:

  1. Not sure if I can get hubby eating lentils (!) but this sounds like a useful recipe...thank you :-) As for the budget - I guess we would be in the moderate zone but I don't neccessarily shop every week so it's a bit difficult to work out exactly - and we don't buy a lot of meat either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your dh might just like them my boys are meat fellas and they both really enjoy lentils. It's one of the vegetarian/vegan meals I don't complaints about. They alawys go back for seconds and BAGS left overs for lunch.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  2. Hey really interesting. I guess we are more liberal with the budget, but it varies.
    Funny I'm opposite to Raewyn, more my hubby would eat Lentils & me not so much, still I haven't tried them, so who can say!
    Certainly a saving when you have your own meat & vege growing on your back doorstep........Mmmm I wonder if I can fit a beast, sheep, chooks & a vege garden on my section??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think my photos don;t look appealing - but I don;t fluff about to take them - the meal is hot and family waiting..so a quick snap. now Leeanne I'd love you try this and tell me what you think.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  3. I have a $300 for a fortnight but usually spend less than this as it often has to buy anything else that I want or need as well. We eat very basically and seasonally too. My biggest saving is that mostly I only will spend $5 on meat per meal and often way less than that. Works for me as long as I throw a steak at my hubby occassionally lol And I have found that my 2 teenage girls only eat about 1/4 of what a teen boy does of the same age :D Karen in Whangarei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen I have a real passion to learn what people are eating on a tight budget. Is there any chance you could keep your supermarket receipts for about 3 months for me and post to me?

      Delete
  4. Your lentil squash looks delicious! A nice hearty dish I am going to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Leanne,
    I'm interested in this but like Raewyn I don't have a set shopping day/plan, or shop every week. I buy in bulk when it is something I use that is on special. It also depends how you classify items. I would have to go through receipts and itemise. I think because we grow a lot of fruit, veg and nuts ours would not be a true example. I will watch what you find out with interest. I think any food bought when out or casual purchases have to be counted in. Also entertaining others makes a difference.( and is when we possibly spend more than usual ) Some folk might be buying every herb etc to use and that makes a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same I price shop for bargains, get an organic box delivered and have homekill. I do agree with you re causal purchases. Brent brought his lunch one day this week and MAN it is expensive.
      Love Leanne
      PS we have lot of plums growing this year.

      Delete
  6. WOW, I must be pretty cheap! My budget for basic would be $225 NZ /$186 US and I only spend about $100-125 US each week on food, and sometimes even less. We don't buy a lot of junk/snack food, so that helps. I'm about to embark on a Paleo diet in hopes of cleaning out my system. It'll be no grain, no dairy, no legumes, etc. for a while. I know I'll be spending more as I always do when I eat healthier! Right now, I'm not eating horribly, but not the best either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris good for you re Paleo let me know how you go!

      Delete
  7. Oh gosh, it's scary to think too hard about this Leanne! I would estimate our family of four would be about 250 a week, but we don't need to buy any red meat, so I think that helps alot. Also through the summer/autumn especially we don't buy many vegetables.... This figure would include the very occasional meal out and those other cleaning/paper type products you mentioned too.
    It does bother me that soft drinks, confectionery etc are all cheaper than milk and fruit!! Your lentil stew looks yum....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicky it bugs me too that crap food is cheaper too.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  8. YUMMMMM I definitely will try your Lentil Stew recipe, girly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you find it.Love Leanne

      Delete
  9. we eat a lot of lentils, red, green and puy. I was trying to have a look into your jar, are they brown lentils you used?
    I am having a bit of a craze for squash at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes in the jar are brown - but I often use green.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  10. I'd have to think about this too but to me it looks like a lot of money. Like Ali I'd have to factor in casual purchases (not a lot), then work out separate purchases -- I don't go to the supermarket for food. Interesting. Thanks for the recipes, I love your easy nutritious recipes.
    PS We have three adults, one elderly and two middle aged, would you like me to track costs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROSE SMILE I will rejoice the day people stop using the supermarkets. We buy in bulk, price shop, home kill own veges and organic box so a weekly shop isn't very accurate. I budget $250 per week for everything that is all meals (if Brent buys his lunch it comes out of this) his beer all cleaning gear and paper goods. We don;t eat out or have takeaways - extremely rare if we do..

      Delete
  11. I always like lentil soup; it's a good standby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a quick easy frugal meal for me to zap up.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  12. I think $296/week is very high for four people. I could fed four people for $100/wk, easily. We would have meat everyday and fresh fruits and vegetables, dairy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here in Nz i'd be really struggling too feed a family of 4 on $100 per week. Our organic box is $85.00 to start with.
      Love Leanne

      Delete

I