Friday, 1 November 2013

Beltane Eve

The seasonal wheel has turned once again - in the northern hemisphere winter is not far away, nature is starting to tuck its self up. The last harvests are being gathered including lots of pumpkins for the celebration of Samhain/Halloween. 

But here in the Southern hemisphere we are well into spring and nature is wide awake - summer is just around the corner. 


 The first poppy of the season opened up and said hello.
 It doesn't seem right to celebrate Halloween when the garden is not producing an autumn harvest.

One of my herb gardens - full of garlic, poppy, parsley, lemon verbena, thyme (pink flower), coriander (the white flower). I've lots more herbs in there, will detail it tomorrow .

I woke up late again today (8am this is shocking) so rushing this blog post. I think my brain is very tired from all the study I've been cramming in. (I am trying to study at a full time pace)

 One of my favourite herb foxgloves - Are starting to flower. Such joyful fun flowers.

 In the Southern hemisphere it is Beltane eve, our usual way of marking the turn of the wheel is by eating a meal that has been produced from our land.

Globe artichokes, spinach and Rainbow silver beet. (Rainbow silver beet is soo fun to grow)

Cauliflower  - yes green cauliflower. This was from James' garden, he sure has green fingers! Its wonderful to know he has the skills to provide for himself. and a family,

Our last goose was cooked - this tasted much nicer than my first time attempt - Cooking it long and slow.
Knowing it was one of ours I do find it hard to eat - I had just a little bit.

Abbey preferred to pass,  she didn't want to eat goose and doesn't like artichokes.
As she has her license now she drove herself to gather her own dinner. A curry that she admits she would have to work over 1 hour to pay for and noted it has more juice than meat - but she said she thoroughly enjoyed it SMILE.




15 comments:

  1. I love the contrast between our hemispheres! While I'm putting in garlic to winter over, you are harvesting artichokes and have flowering herbs in your garden. I find the contrasts fascinating. It is Hallowe'en here and I have had one little trick-or-treater so far. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SMILE I hope you have a good year with your garlic - mine is growing really well. Often in NZ folks plant garlic on the shortest day and harvest on longest - I'm like you and plant earlier than the shortest day.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  2. Samhain blessings on you and yours!
    Loving that gorgeous cauli and artichokes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessing to you! The garden is awake down here - looking forward to after the new moon when we will be planting up a storm.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  3. Leanne, all your meals look delicious...and your garden as always is lovely. What a wonderful spring harvest.
    As children we were the odd ones out as our family loved artichokes but not one of our friends had ever seen them before. This is a crop I'm yet to attempt to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Globe Artichokes I've found very easy to grow - I love eating them but I like eating chops or anything I can get mucky and lick my fingers Giggle.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  4. Happy Beltane, and it's so good to see you honouring the season in this way, with such healthy produce. I feel encouraged when I see people asserting the connection with our own seasons, and not thoughtlessly going with the commercial world's pretence that we are in autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow thank you - I do think with internet now life will change a lot - we can find things out for ourselves instead of mass marketing of newspapers, tv educating /telling people what to think/ do. Even as a kid it always felt so wrong to be celebrating for example Easter when there was no spring flowers or bunnies about - Christmas was all themed with snow and winter and here we had summer. So even as a young girl I knew it wasn't my truth.
      I THANK YOU for your wonderful books you have written - finding Celebrating the Southern Seasons many years ago brought me great joy.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
    2. Thank you Leanne. It's always nice to know that one's seeds have fallen on fertile ground!

      Delete
  5. those artichokes just blow me away. i bought some today and they cost 2.00 each. i have the worst time wrapping my head around the difference in seasons between the 2 of us. i must be a bit dense. or maybe a lot dense. are you having halloween now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Halloween isn't a big celebration in NZ. Commercially shops try to make it a business, some children dress up and visit homes but not a lot. We have a friend who is from Canada and when the kids were little she hosted a street party - that worked well as all the homes got into the night and decorated - had sweets to give out. For our family and other like minded friends we celebrate the seasons ie flip your season 6 months and we just celebrated Beltane which for us we are just entering summer .
      Love Leanne
      PS LOVED the you tube.

      Delete
  6. I love that poppy! I didn't know Foxglove was a herb, what do you use it for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes foxglove is a herb - a poison herb at that so it needs respect http://botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/f/foxglo30.html I've linked you to an awesome website.

      Delete
  7. P.S I meant to say my prize of the worm Wees arrived today!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh How wonderful I think you will want your own worm farm once you see how brilliant the worm wee is.
      Love Leanne

      Delete

I