Friday, 15 November 2013

Audio books

I just LOVE audio books. There is something rather decadent having someone read you a story while you weed, vacuum, clean the bathroom, wash windows, sew, strip wall paper and driving to and from work. Any time I don't have to talk or concentrate hard my head phones are put on for a snippet of story telling..

I am a gold member with audible.com and download books to my iphone or to Brent's Ipod (he too listens to books while he drives to and from work).

I am also an out of town member of Wellington city Library and now have FREE access to their audiobooks. To become an out of town member I had to take in two letters with my address on and give ID. They also have awesome online tutorials to get you started if you get stuck. And the bestest librarian called Monty - He is wonderfully helpful with techno help downloading the books.

I'm a Goodreads member - where I really enjoy reading recommendations for books and these often sways me to give a book a go or not.

Not long ago I finished listening to The Sandcastle Girls. Brent is listening to it on audio on way to and from work at the moment and Abbey is reading the book (She prefers real books)


It is a historical novel about the Armenian genocide in 1915, the book is a bit hard to follow at times as it flicks from present to past but once you get into the flow the story comes together . It is a rather sobering reality of how humans can treat each other and once again how religion has played a big part in wars. 4/5

“He recalls what that first German soldier said to his major: 
No God-not yours or mine-approves of what you're doing.” 

― Chris BohjalianThe Sandcastle Girls




A thriller is not my genre but as it was in the top 4 Whitcoulls list and some friends on Goordreads had rated it high so I gave it a go. In the beginning it was oooh I wonder who did it. But as I got on in the book there was not one character I liked in the book at all. 3/4 way through I just disliked the content - it became unbelievable that one of the main characters stays, The violence, cruelty and lies was just too much for my sensitive soul. so it was a book I did not enjoy. 2/5.

I LOVED Sir Jamie Oliver - enjoyed hearing of his childhood - he had some fantastic parents!
His journey through school and dyslexia very close to home. And how his hard work has paid off.
 He really is making the world a better place. 4/5



OH YOU MUST get Winnie the Pooh to listen to especially the dramatised one with Stephen Fry and Judi Dench. DELIGHTFUL 5/5. I hope I never grow too old for Pooh.


More of the audio books I'm listening to are on my goodreads - yell if you are a goodread member as I'm ALWAYS looking for a good book to listen to.

What are you reading? Do you love audio books too?



15 comments:

  1. I've tried the audio books and they seem to speak SO slow! If I could find a normal voice, I'd listen to more.
    I liked Oliver up until I heard his political views....I'll never watch him again. I do not want America to become Venezuela.
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't come across someone speaking too slow. Try the Winnie the Pooh book and I bet you would be hooked on audio books. I just searched Jamies political views http://hollowverse.com/jamie-oliver/ It's made me truly fall in love with him. I have only read this article so not that informed re his political views.saying that Donna I'm pretty counter-culture Lots of love Leanne

      Delete
  2. i really enjoy audio books. i love biographies too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEA what do you listen to??? Are you on good reads then I can follow what books you have enjoyed. Love Leanne

      Delete
  3. I love books, and on a friend's blog post, saw the new " Halifax Library", a reader's or bibliophile's dream come true. great to be an out of town member, can you get books on request to a library closer? Greetings to all, Jean. p.s. 3.7 C here this a.m. had to hose the potatoes, beans and zucchini just in case!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wellington library ha an awesome selection of audio books well worth joining as an out of town member. Local libraries do have a selection but it's much easier to search a bigger library as they have more chance of having a book I want. I'll be in my garden flat stick finishing off summer vege garden planting - full moon nearly here and I'm going to run out of time otherwise.
      Love Leanne
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  4. A blog post after my own heart. :o)
    My brother in law suggested I try Lord of the Rings which is next on my audio list - sic-fi just not my genre, but will give it a go. I loved Gone Girl just because it was so evil and because I have encountered a few true narcissists in my day - but then I like thrillers. Jamie's book sounds good. I like him, and he seems to have one of the few strong 'celebrity' marriages. Will add that to my wish list on audible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girlfriend and I was having a great debate over Gone Girl this week she liked it too.It is a good book as it has stayed with me SHUDDER. She really liked https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18164078-my-secret-sister I can;t find it on audio so I might just have to sit and read it. Will do me good to take some down time.Love Leanne

      Delete
  5. Strange you should post this as I am listening right now, to an audio book based in NZ, so I have thought of you often (not to mention dreaming of a long holiday in your country!).
    The book is "After the fall" by Charity Norman. So far, a good story.
    I just finished "Ordinary dogs" by Eileen Battersby, that was a lovely book for a dog lover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOO THANK YOU! I've just added them to my want to read list on good reads. Are you on goodreads???
      Any plans of one day coming to New Zealand?
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  6. I love talking books too. If I am quilting I am usually listening to a talking book. I have had a few that have sent me blushing though........the ones with sex scenes, of course there are no pictures, but the sound effects are enough!! If I am free motion quilting, the volume of my machine is high, so I turn the volume up on the speaker (no earphones) so when the hot stuff comes on I had to turn the volume down, I was worried the neighbours would think I was having a wild orggie party or something! I stay clear of those stories! My husband thinks it's funny!
    I get CD's from the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my I have to have head phones on as the bees would blush when I garden LOL
      You are brave!
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  7. We love audio books during long road trips. We listened to one a couple of years ago, and it was about a dog. But the dog died at the end of the story, and we cried and cried as we drove down the road. I'm sure people thought that we were bonkers if they saw us with streaming tears. And I will never, EVER be too old for Winnie the Pooh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SMILE I cry away too. SMILE. YEa another pooh fan!
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  8. The Winnie the Pooh audio book sounds just the thing for me. I'll check it out. What a stirling cast! Thanks for the tip Leanne.

    ReplyDelete

I