Thursday, 3 October 2013

What’s happening in your Herb Patch


Tell me, what’s happening in your herb patch?
I'd love to see what herb is growing in your herb patch on your own blog, take a photo and come back and link up with Mr linky tool.

Stinging nettle Urtica dioica

 I've tried for years to grow nettle but Molly goat keeps eating it - so was rather pleased it had self seeded in my garden. But not too happy that it had chosen the bean pole to grow.

I reluctantly harvested all of the nettle before it flowered one needs to be sensible, it would become quite annoying trying to harvest the beans come summer if I hadn't.

 I tend to react to the sting of nettle it is little bits of acids that get flung from the hairs more than the hairs themselves that cause the ouchy. Gloves were used for the harvest.




I have enjoyed walking past and licking my fingers taking the very tops off the nettle, rolling it in my fingers and having a munch without getting the sting. Picking them so early in spring doesn't give the gritty taste - actually it is really yummy I'm going to miss my morning munch.

 I turned some of the harvest into nettle soup - the house smelled wonderful!



The chlorophyll is amazing - you can sense just  how good it is for you - so full of vitamins (A, B2, C, E, K) and minerals - calcium, potassium, magnesium, sulphur and iron

The dehydrator is busy drying some which I'll use in an infusion.

Below is a linky list if you’d like to link up with What's in your Herb Patch
 (Lets play each Thursday what is in your herb patch)

(1) Make sure the link you submit is to the URL of your blog post  and not your main blog URL 
(2) Include a link back to this post in your blog post so that others who may want to join what's in your Herb Patch  can find us!

12 comments:

  1. I buy nettle tea and make it into shampoo it help with dry scalp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to make my own shampoo - love to have your recipe and tips.
    Love leanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. not much happening in mine just now but still plenty which i'll use even if just for smudge sticks :) up at my plot is covered with nettle struggle keeping it away :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I did the right thing pulling the nettle out of my vege garden. Looking forward to seeing more photos of your plot and what is growing. I had to order in white sage seeds - hopefully here next week - which will be perfect timing to sow seeds by the moon
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  4. another nettle fan here. I eat the tips a nd use them in cooking. I was introduced to nettle tea, by my blog friends Kay and Sime (justhumansbeing) they dry nettles for use in the winter. I was interested to know what nutrients were in the nettles. No peeing there Mack! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you for link to Kay and Sime - I had lost them in the blog change about. Nettle is one of the best infusions you can drink - Google Susun Weed and nettle - I adore this lady and her wisdom and have all her books.
      Love Leanne
      PS Mack isn't silly he knows the danger of stinging nettle ... Oh I need to do an update on Mack - he is doing really really well he had a bath and got away - rolled while wet, and all nice in clean on ground in dirt and let out an awful yelp has been better ever since. He was even booked in on Tuesday to be possibly put to sleep he was that bad. It's so nice to have him feeling well again - He is still on pain killers but we might be able to reduce them. - Wonder if he put his back back in???

      Delete
  5. It's so interesting to see how to use stinging nettle. I've always steered clear of it in the past. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juliet I buy mine dried as have such trouble growing it here with Molly goat munching it. It really is wonderfully good for you.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  6. Hi Leanne
    The recipe that I use is in my head. I make a strong brew of the dried nettle 1tbsp per cup of boiling water and let it brew for awhile until it cools down. Drain and add 1/4 cup of bronners castile liquid soap and essential oil for fragrance. I only make a little bit at a time as it only lasts about a month not a long shelf life sorry. Some times I will use half water and half coconut milk and then freeze the rest of the coconut milk until next time. I have also used dried home grown rosemary as that is great too haven't devised a conditioner yet but I use cider vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I will have a play - I'm rather vain when it comes to hair I LOVE clean hair so haven't tried any home made poo (do buy organic shampoo and conditioner). The no wash or baking soda only wash just doesn't sit with me... not saying I wont in future..3 years ago I would never of thought I would stop dying the greys
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  7. Your herbs are beautiful. We moved into this house a few months ago so I didn't get to start a herb garden. Hoping to start a few this winter inside and I have the perfect spot for one outside in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie - I love herbs and have soo many poked every where I will post each Thursday a herb from my garden and how I use it so come your spring you will be all inspired. We are lucky here and have relatively mild winters - no snow so most herbs cope staying in the garden. Love Leanne

      Delete

I