Wednesday, 2 October 2013

Spring - my favourite time of the year.

 Sitting and choosing what seeds to buy is one of the most satisfying things in the world to do.But receiving them in the mail and getting to fondle them is wonderful (right up there with touching new quilt fabric)

I feel passionately about only buying organic heritage seeds (heirloom is the American word)  meaning they are non hybrids and you can save the seeds yourself for your next years garden. (Unless you have geese and they ate all your bean crop)
I've gone back to scarlet runner beans for this year, a crop Brent's dad always had. A new lettuce seed to try Devil's ear - I normally have drunken woman fringed head just because I think the names are so funny... Chocolate pepper - we are looking forward to these growing. An old favourite was brought again - Port Albert Cucumber..

Having kids with allergies and chronic illness has sent me on a path over the years learning about how to grow nutrient dense food, and now I'm studying to be a naturopath.. I'm totally loving my current assignment about macronutrients. One of the questions was to pick 3 amino acids to write about - of course I had to pick Lysine as it is  an amino acid that cannot be generated in the human body and must be acquired through diet. It is also Sheldon’s favourite amino acid off The Big Bang Theory, possibly due to his germ phobia. In case you are wondering lysine can be found in a variety of foods, eggs, dairy and meat. Vegan sources of lysine are beans, peas, lentils, and avocado
 




I'm driving myself crazy with excitement checking daily
 - okay twice a day to see if the first bloom is out on the lilac
 . nearly!

Queen of the Night tulip has nearly finished blooming - just the right timing as the runner beans will be going in here.

7 comments:

  1. and i am about to pull out my garden and plant my garlic. we are having summer weather here now and i am not happy! i need you or james to send me your address so i can make the payment. the bank needs it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would of thought planting garlic too early?? Nov more - here it is meant to be planted shortest day harvested longest - but I am always a month or 2 earlier - so I suppose it is not too early for you. Always feels like digging for gold hoping they are nice and big bulbs for you.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  2. I have been meaning to pop into Koanga Gardens but just haven't done it yet. Funny names for some of them.
    The embroidery threads 'Cottage Garden Threads' have wonderful names for their different colours & for each 'family'.
    Love the colour of those tulips..............beautiful!
    I hope Abbey is on the improvexxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man do you live near Koanga gardens?? it is on my bucket list to be an apprentice their one day.
      I'll have to look out for the cottage garden threads I love quirky things.
      Ab is having a much better day today whoop whoop.She does have good days and we just enjoy them
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  3. all those lovely purples!
    I was interested to learn about your heritage seeds. In our whole foods shop, we can get old varieties, they sell very well. I'd like to see your scarlet runner beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purple is my fav colour, yellow and orange next. I suppose I love LOUD colours SMILE I'll take a photo of the beans soon - I've just harvested my nettle as it self seeded against the bean frame and wouldn't be very wise to leave it there. Will try to remember a photo before I plant them.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  4. I love those beautiful deep purples! I seem to have developed a brown thumb of late..doesn;t help I've had a fractured rib and broken brain LOL Spring is my favourite time of the year too. Maybe you could sprinkle some of your "fairy dust" over me he he...

    ReplyDelete

I