Monday, 28 October 2013

Living off the land

 The boys have worked hard all day - five pine trees cut down and ringed. Preparing for winter by gathering firewood in spring means we will be nice and toasty for next winter again. Sure is a lot of work for the blokes.


My day was spent studying and making meals for the workers.

We eat very simply as I find it easier to make one meal that everyone can eat - ie wheat, egg, nut, dairy, fish free.
Lunch was:

  • Chicken drumsticks with honey, ginger and garlic.
  •  A brown rice tabouleh salad.
  • Fresh garden salad (I did sneak in some tomatoes in shopping trolley - as we eat to season we haven't had any fresh tomatoes since last autumn. Can hardly wait till after the next new moon when I'll be planting tomatoes galore in the garden.)



Here is my rice Tabouleh salad recipe (bulgur wheat free so suitable for non wheat eaters)


 Soak (for about 1 hour) about 1 cup of rice (I like to use more so I have left overs for a snack or lunch for someone).
Use brown rice or as in above photo wild rice (which is soo yummy!) -

Drain - then cover well with hot water and cook

Drain and cool. Use a tea towel to remove as much moisture as you can.


spread onto an oven tray and preheat oven to 190 deg C.
Drizzle olive oil and mix with your hands to coat the rice.

Put in a hot oven for about 5-10 mins to crisp up the rice but be careful not to over cook it. This process gives the rice a nutty taste.


Dice up tomatoes small - I use more tomatoes when plentiful in garden
about 4 large handfuls of parsley - stalks remove cut up very finely
about 4 spring onions
1 handful of mint leaves again stalks removed and chopped very fine
Dice up a cucumber if you have one very small

When rice is cool mix together.

Dressing.
Juice of two lemons
1/s cup olive oil
1 teaspoon of pomegranate molasses (Have you guys brought this yet???)
salt and pepper.
Add dressing just before serving.

Linking up to Mosaic Monday.

23 comments:

  1. Much hard work there, do you have a splitter, and not the manual kind ( i.e. an axe) to make the next part easier? Lovely recipe, I have saved it for us. Today it might rain hard, so some well earned rest for the guys? Very wet here at 5.44 a.m. Cheers, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi no no splitter but we do hire one each year - some things are worth paying for, No rain down here.Love Leanne

      Delete
  2. this looks wonderful. i love wild rice. those guys sure work hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wild rice is yum aye! Yes the blokes work hard - there is ALWAYS something that needs doing living on land.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  3. I bet those guys appreciated the delicious food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like I just finish cooking, doing dishes get a bit of study in and its time to take them down another drink and a little something, bit more study then time to make lunch or dinner - dishes again and a bit more study fitted in.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  4. We were just discussing wood gathering yesterday. Our go to place is very wet and the owner of the farm suggested we wait until it dries out. So we will go back in a few weeks( assuming the rain stops) and stqrt to bring the big logs home.
    Which means I get to play With the big tractor yeah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the blokes would like a tractor - the jeep is our pretend tractor LOL
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  5. Lots of hard work and awesome food here! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks our days are filled with work and eating around here SMILE.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  6. I am sure the guys appreciate your yummy food and cooking. It looks delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe! Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep the blokes are my number one fans of my cooking. They are good eaters and it's fun cause they never mind me practising on them.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  7. It's a lot of hard work but it's rewarding, too. The dishes you prepare sound good. I'd like to try to make the rice. Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you like my rice Tabouleh salad recipe

      Delete
  8. Oh so yummy looking! You are one great cook. :) Kit

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum that lunch looks sooo delicious Leanne. I am really enjoying your blog & how you garden by the seasons - we bought tomato plants to put in & my husband says you ALWAYS plant them labour weekend but I too, am waiting til after the new moon til the right time for things that produce above the ground. I am finding it is teaching me great patience as I always used to want to bung them in as soon as I got them home. I like reading your blog as it reinforces to me that I am on the right track. I was wondering if you use this method for planting your flowers too??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thanks for the feedback - I never really know what people want to read here. Yes waiting until new moon will / should give you a great harvest of tomatoes - let your dh plant a few now and you could have a lets see which grows best. Waiting till the soil warms up a bit more will also help you win SMILE.
      Yes I plant by the moon for flowers too - I have some hollyhocks (that I stole from my natural mothers garden, so a bit special) I planted last cycle growing in greenhouse along with sweet corn that is doing well - my tomato seeds aren't tho, blow.
      I plan to be in garden today - had enough of sitting inside studying - but got 3 assignments finished.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  10. Now I am really hungry! It looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boys sure get hungry doing the wood,
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  11. mmmm, I'm hungry now. I think I'll try this, with rice maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. spring is a good time to make as plenty of new parsley and mint growth happening.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  12. Looks like a delicious meal, and one well appreciated after all the hard work of cutting wood.

    ReplyDelete

I