Sunday, 6 October 2013

Guess who is 2 years old today.


 Happy Birthday Gus - 2 years old today. - He's full of attitude!


We found Gus for sale on Trade Me, Gus and his family were living on a boat shed.



 They had adapted to swimming in the sea water no problem.
In water is mum Priti (grey), dad Jim (white) and two brothers.
Grandmother Whitey is on deck.
Whitey is 20 years old - Geese can live until they are 30
Jim and Priti had a clutch of eleven. Nine hatched,



 Pilgrims are colour sexed, with males white and females grey.
Females (from about 10 months old plus) sometime from late winter to spring will have a clutch of eggs (5 to 20 eggs) .
Eggs are laid every 1.5 - 2 days apart.
They usually begin brooding (sitting on the eggs) once the last egg is laid.
Eggs hatch at approx 28 days.
Some females may have 2 batches


Pilgrims mate in the water, not on land They have a lovely mating dance where the male swims around the female dunking his head in the water.
The "act" lasts a couple of seconds

Pilgrims are family oriented and very protective of their young and each other.

 Gus on his very first day here.


Geraldine fell in love with Gus at first sight.


  Geraldine made a lovely nest of 6 eggs last year.


She made such a lovely nest.

And we let her sit on the six eggs.


Every single one of the six eggs hatched.

Gus and Geraldine were extremely proud parents.


All was well until..... they ate my garden!



Gus takes his role very seriously of protecting Geraldine so much so that now it is hazardous to collect the hens eggs....He's a fantastic watchdog to the barn we know if anyone walks up the driveway the honking begins. Geraldine and Gus have a forever home here.
Linking up to Camera Critters.

31 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Gus. He is too cute...and you can just see the attitude written all over his face.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary thanks for saying hi it's always lovely to meet who reads the blog. Gus is NOT one of my favoured pets here but Brent is his advocate. Gus and I have an understanding - we both don't like each other.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  2. What a fun post! You have beautiful photos too!

    Hugs
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie - lovely to catch up! It's my last year next year of homeschooling - going to feel very very strange.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  3. they are wonderful. i had 2 ducks when i was young, seymore and charlie. they were the best guard ducks. better than a dog. happy birthday gus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gus is an amazing guard dog - I wouldn't take him on and he makes us feel quite safe along with Mack. As for the poodle how embarrassing - she picks up a pink stuffed toy and growls - very scary - not.
      Love Leanne ...

      Delete
  4. what a delightful post!

    happy birthday gus!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gus is not one of my fav critters here - and the jokes on me cause I got his dates wrong I thought it was his birthday yesterday so gave him a treat and happy birthday even tho he gave me those beady eyes and went to chomp my legs through the gate. To think I have to do it all again today....
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  5. I loved the story of Gus and Geraldine! Hope he has a very happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute geese, Happy Birthday to Gus! Wonderful post, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love this post. Happy Birthday, Gus. What a cutie. Your photos are wonderful and thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday Gus, you're a handsome fellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL He would lap up being told he was handsome very much he is so full of himself SMILE>
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  9. Such a wonderful, loving and fun post. Gus....have a very special day!! See you next year!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday gus, that has gone quick. Boy the years are flying lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela I have never forgotten WHO encouraged me to get Geraldine a mate. - She is happier with Gus - But boy he is a PUNK.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  11. Beautiful photography ~ I love Gus too and can see why Geraldine loves him ~ carol ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post and a wonderful photo series of their family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this post, I didn't realise how little I knew about geese...lol... I'm guessing there will be no more babies allowed for your sweet pair though....? Birthday greetings Gus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope no more babies allowed - I feel mean and they are soo cute when little but I sure didn't like dealing with the once grown up.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  14. Geraldine and Gus make a handsome couple. I forgot how beautiful geese can be - and their hatchlings. I had a friend who was the wife of a diary farmer. Her gander only nipped at anyone not in a skirt. I liked this quirk so I wrote it into a story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had no idea they lived so long! Well, happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea 30 years..... we have to think of about this if we wish to move... Brent says he will take Gus with him to a retirement home and have all the old fellas yelling - hay your goose shat on my driveway - IMAGINE it!
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  16. Your fotos are wonderfull;
    happy birthday to Gus, very lovely, i have 10 years ago two white Goose,and as you, they was a fantastic watchdog ,
    best than my two golden retriever. Have a nice fall weekend from Belgium.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a long time for a bird to live but I guess they are smarter than the average birds. Chickens...No!

    ReplyDelete
  18. 2 down.... 28 to go,Leanne lol! Happy Birthday Gus! (or should I honk that?? haha)...I just love that first pic..talk about attitude with a capital A!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GASP you gave me nightmares - 28 years to go HA HA HA. Brent tells us he will take him to the retirement home with him... can you imagine it!
      Love leanne

      Delete
  19. What an adorable goose! Cute shots.

    ReplyDelete
  20. happy birthday gus! and thanks for the lesson-we have a duck pond at the bottom of the hill that we pass and we love seeing the ducks and geese that call it a home.

    ReplyDelete

I