Sunday, 13 October 2013

Gardening by the moon


As a  moon lover of course I have to be into gardening by the phases of the moon

Moon gardening goes back thousands of years to the time of the ancient Greeks and Romans. 

Back to the time when people’s very survival depended on being able to grow their own food successfully.  

Being in tune with the seasons and phases of the moon keeps us in  touch with the natural rhythms of the earth - something I enjoy very much!

Moon gardening works on the gravitational  force of the moon and planting eg from two days after the new moon is the best time to plant leafy cops as this phases is drawing the moisture and sap up the plant which creates active and strong growth.

During the full moon phase (2 days either side of the full moon)  is rest time in the garden to harvest weeds, crops, tend to compost. 

During the waning phase sow below ground crops ie root crops


Moon calendars are fun to have 


All you do is line the new moon shape on the dial up with the matching date of the new moon each month. So for this month you would line up the new moon picture to the 5th as the new moon was on the 5th October. If you are unsure of your moon phases here is a fun calculator where you can put in your world location and find times and dates of the moon phases. .



A free moon calendar can be downloaded from NZ Gardener magazine. highly recommend any one thinking or wanting to get into moon gardening to start with this one, and it is FREE.



or you can buy Everlasting Moon Calendars from Riverton Organic Growers

Another resource I highly recommend is reading the Koanga moon calendar. (Southern hemisphere)

I hope today's blog spot has sparked an interest in following the moon too and maybe even you might try gardening by the moon, I swear by it.

. Do let me know if you do garden by the moon.

8 comments:

  1. Off to get me a moon calendar! {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you start seeing a difference in healthy strong plants.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  2. Great resources thanks Leanne. I didn't know some of these, but I garden by the moon whenever possible, using the Creative Cronies Moon Calendar. Here we are, just after quarter moon, rising up the the full. It's a productive time in the moon cycle for me as I'll be focussing on my new writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juliet are you writing a new book? The Creative Cronies work is beautiful - gardening by astrology is another whole blog post. Love Leanne

      Delete
  3. Hi Leanne, I have had a few bloggers send me your post after my post about lunar calendars :-) Isnt this sharing of info so great with blogland, I love your post ,.. thanks so much for sharing the downloads. I have been trying to stick to my moon planting tho sometimes I feel impatient when its not a fertile time, but I am trying to keep on track & be patient, Julie x0x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love following the seasons and the moons. If you move your moon calendar so the picture of the full moon lines up with the date of the new moon (5th Oct) it will change the date of when you can begin planting. Hope that helps. Love Leanne

      Delete
  4. Well this has been educational! Never thought to garden by moonlight!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna -I'm not out working in my garden at night - more planning what to do in the garden by the moon phase. ie when the best time to plant, weed, harvest, give some worm wee tea etc.
      Love Leanne

      Delete

I