Monday, 14 October 2013

Challenge - Food Photography



I've really enjoyed doing all the reading for Donna's Personal Photography challenge this month on food..
Taking photos of food is a lot harder than you think.

  One of my favourite ingredients in my kitchen is pomegranate molasses (can buy it at the Mediterranean Food Warehouse) and FRESH pomegranates which are in supermarkets at the moment - out goes the window worrying about how many travel miles it took to get here. Pomegranates are soo loved in our home! (we have a tree but never had any luck getting them to ripen - they rot before they ripen)

 I should of taken the chicken out of the cooking dish and onto a white plate for the photo. But very hard to do when everyone is waiting around for their dinner...

Pomegranate molasses chicken.
Chicken drumsticks
A good handful of  fresh coriander chopped
4 Tablespoons of olive oil
4 Tablespoon of honey
3 Tablespoons of pomegranate molasses
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper
Combine and spread over chicken and bake until cooked about 50 minutes at 160 deg C oven.



Pomegranate salad.
Salad leaves from the garden or even baby spinach
small handful of fresh thyme and as flowering I popped some in too
Generous handful of green and black grapes cut in half 
Small handful of olives green or black - I had black so in they went
seeds of half a pomegranate ooh la la yummy yummy.$2.98 each at supermarket so I only put in half and saved half for tomorrow.

Dressing
3 cloves of garlic chopped fine
juice and zest of one lemon
2 Tablespoons of pomegranate molasses
about 1/4 cup of olive oil
Mix all together in a jar. I always prefer to let everyone put on their own salad dressing rather than pouring onto a salad - but that's just how I prefer to do dressings.



Hassle back potatoes.
Put a skewer through the spud and then cut down to the skewer - this helps stop you cutting all the way through the potato.


 Place a few fresh bay leaf strips (take out centre of each bay leaf), salt and pour over olive oil.

place in oven same time as chicken until cooked, which will depend on your size of spuds..


Our tea. I do find it very hard to dish up fast and take a good photo

NB all food is wheat free, dairy free, nut free and egg and fish free to suit food allergies in our home.

Linking up to Mosaic Monday too 

22 comments:

  1. i am always way too busy t worry about photo quality. mine are pretty awful! i love pomegranate molasses and was just turned on to it this past year by my turkish friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your photos always look amazing. Isn't pomegranate molasses just the best!
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  2. Great photos, great looking food -- I'll be over in a sec.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you try some of the recipes it is yummy
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  3. The potatoes look great! I'd say the pomegranate does too but I haven't eaten one. I have to stay away from seeds and I think all those things inside are seeds ?? I have had the juice and it is delicious so the molassas would be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fruit seed so does that limit you? My family go nuts over pomegranate fruit - I find it a bit slow and messy to eat so take it or leave it.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, this meal looks delicious! I would love to try it all. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you try some of the recipes.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  5. this looks so delicious! I'll have to try it soon before it gets too cold to grill outside. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen it's still too cold here to cook outside - we had terrible winds yesterday in Wellington.It hit us hee in the evening - I have yet to go out and see how the lilacs coped.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad that you found the photo challenge and decided to join the fun! You did a wonderful job telling a story of the different components to a marvelous dinner. Gosh, that sauce for the chicken sounds positively delicious, and I love how it glistens in the photos. The salad photo is so colorful and full of texture. And my favorite is the final plating, inviting me to dig in! It is really difficult to stop and take pictures while you are cooking and serving, LOL, so kudos for that extra effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Donna I learnt a lot in this challenge. I've been chosen to be on a VIP testing panel for Annabel Langbein's new book so I really want to do my photos proud for this... Still a bit of practising to do. One thing was the green grape that had a bit of brown on it really showed up in the photos and the eyes in the spuds I'm a tad too rough leaving in. I could hear my mother in law growling at me leaving in the eyes LOL.
      Thanks again for another great challenge.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  7. Fantastic photo's!
    Your meal is mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What were you doing up at 2.24am????????
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  8. Great challenge to do and great photos! Never heard of Pomegranate Molasses, will have to have a look up here for it. Wow congrats on being a VIP taster!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raweyn I hope you can find some Pomegranate molasses up there is is YUMMY. Yea I was thrilled to be picked to be on the VIP taster panel I will share lots on the blog I promise.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  9. I'm drooling! If I can find the molasses. I'll have to try The chicken yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably will find it at any middle eastern food shop. GOOD LUCK!

      Delete
  10. Well your photos must be pretty good because my mouth is watering! I especially love the pomegranate salad. Red and green together are so zingy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement! Salad weather is coming - I'm so hanging out for summer food again.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  11. Beautiful photos of beautiful food. Love the idea of the pomegranate molasses chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that chicken looks delicious! What great photos!

    ReplyDelete

I