Sunday, 15 September 2013

Worm Farming.

 A girl has gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

 And that is go hunting for predators in her worm farm.


 Tiger slugs have invaded the worm farm. They need hand picking out - yuck. I do not feed the tiger slugs to the chickens as their slime is extremely glutinous - the slime glues up the chicken's beaks and they have an awful job trying to get the slime off.

Tiger slugs Limax maximus were introduced into New Zealand from Europe and these pesky Molluscs eat my plants, seedlings AND

 my tiger worms - GASP!

Yes tiger slugs eat meat and are a good thing to have in your garden as they also eat other types of slugs - this keeps the slug population down. BUT not a good thing to have in the worm farm. 

What I really need is an invasion of hedgehogs to keep these slugs at bay.



It's a job that needed to be done - searching through all of the worm farm apartments  looking for slugs.

 After disturbing the worms I tuck them back up with a layer of damp newspaper

 Their roof of their apartment is put back on

 And the next apartment is searched - I felt like one of those health inspectors


Being a pest controller might be useful on a CV?

 One more apartment to search and I'm done.

 A worm farm is an important part of my composting system.
The worm poop (castings) is brilliant to add to the vegetable garden

Worm wee is made into worm tea by diluting it to the strength of a weak tea with water (no sugar or milk) and watered onto the vegetable garden.

22 comments:

  1. okay...i have no envy for this chore whatsoever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL the satisfaction one gets when the tiger slugs are located is rather good. My kind of therapy. SMILE.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  2. I can see your CV having added talents, " Apartment Supervisor" " Building Inspector" and "House Builder"!!! Yes, worm wee is wonderful, and a little goes a very long way. I would have worn gloves, I hate that slime. Greetings to all, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never wear gloves in the garden - can't see me ever having false nails in my life ever.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  3. Eek - those slugs look terrifying! Good thing the worms have you to rescue them from the slugs! I have lovely worms in my garden - I adore them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those slugs are right up there with rats and cockroaches in my book. I'm rather fond of my worms too. The kids think I am CRAZY!
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  4. Ewww I don't think we have those here. If you didn't feted them to the chooks how did you get rid of them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came across I giant slug and attempted to through it over the fence but it was so slimy it remained glued to my hand ARGH! LOL! Disgusting critters *shudders* I think Pest Control would look great on you CV..hehe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giggle reminds me when we lived in our previous home we had loads of snails and NOT a private section. I used to be behind the wall and throw the snails onto the road to get run over by cars. The lady across the road came out and danced on the road squashing the snails in between cars and telling me off as she didn't want the snails going to her garden. The hens get any snails I find now.

      Love Leanne

      Delete
  6. I didn't know that about tiger slugs. I'm about to have to sort through my worm bin (as I have only one apartment) and your post is well-timed as I will look out for tiger slugs while I sort. The worm tea is fantastic for my little apartment garden and the worm bin (tucked away in the carpet) has turned out to be the perfect solution for deal with food scraps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bokashi Compost is perfect for small places too. Love Leanne

      Delete
  7. Wow! I have never seen a tiger slug. Totally impressed about raising worms. Such an important element to our eco system.
    Thanks for sharing it with us.


    Velva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Velva thanks for saying hello I love knowing who pops into the blog. Yes the worms are a very important part of the eco system and very treasured by me - anything that helps grow nutritious food is a treasure in my books. Anything that eats my garden is not and that is why I got a gun for Christmas last year. Feel like Mr McGregor often.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  8. Gross! Don't think I've ever seen a tiger slug before..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh I know just what to get you for your birthday now.

      Delete
  9. Gross! Don't think I've ever seen a tiger slug before..

    ReplyDelete
  10. The slugs slime me up too and I have to scrub with salt to get it off. I LOVE hedgehogs, at least those little tiny ones. I got to hold one once, they are not native here, when I met a couple walking down the streets of Charleston, South Carolina. They offered to let me hold it and I fell in love! It really balled up, just like Sonic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hedgehogs have a special place in our hearts here too. Mack the mastiff can sniff them out and is not scared of any prickles not were our dobermans. The dogs are NOT allowed to play with hedgehogs.
      Love leanne

      Delete
  11. What can I say those worms are healthy! I saw that it's really taken care of but the slug is also healthy as well... LOL

    Great farm worm storage and you show how to love those worms!

    http://happyhouseandgarden.com/

    ReplyDelete

I