Friday, 27 September 2013

Mack the Mastiff


Poor Mack is not going too good - He is very sore and often yelps despite his pain medication. Its his twilight time and we are all preparing ourselves...

We have noticed when Brent is home Mack puts on a very brave face and hides his pain as much as possible. Mack sees Brent as the pack leader- dogs (and humans too) naturally hide any weakness as part of their instinct for survival.. Mack still likes to lark about like a pup around Brent

We have limited the unsupervised romps for Mack and Stella together - Stella adores Mack, but does tend to jump on him too much, she always has and Mack never minded this but with him being so sore and Stella not understanding what's going on she needs supervision.

Mack still pushes the boundaries and piddles on my lemon verbena.tut tut! Knowing full well that I'm turning a blind eye to such behaviour and not growling at him.

Mind you growling at Mack is a waste of time around here and Brent will hear no wrong when it come to Mack - Typical responses are:
  • Are you sure 
  • He wouldn't do that
  • Nope - I didn't see him do that 
  • I don't think so
  • I cant say he did
  • You will have to wait and see what the Mastiffs union says  

19 comments:

  1. Hi, traveling so I don't know if it will pick up my profile but this is Kathy @ moving on to the past. Beautiful dog, that Mack. I'd give him a pass on piddling! I'm sorry he's in pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi kathy you came in loud and clear aren't gadgets fun! I much prefer gadgets over diamond rings...I still would prefer if Mack wouldn't work over my food garden...He does know he is not allowed near my garden.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  2. Hugs to you all, it's a tough time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is so tough to see these guys age. teddy has lost a lot of her hearing. i am sad to hear mack is in pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mack has always had selective hearing...The kids and I have been surprized just how much show Mack puts on around Brent - we say he is not too good during the day but Brent isn't seeing it as much - he is home for the weekend so be interesting if Mack does show just how sore he is.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  4. aww bless him and the lemon verbena :) hugs x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not pleased he piddled on my garden - not at all, he knows he is not allowed near my garden. Not only because of piddling but also because he picks and eats the strawberries and raspberries too.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  5. not sure if my last message got thru? was just a BIG HELLO and say i was so pleased you found me again :) thank you x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so cross with myself with changing blogs around I lost a lot of my favs - I mucked up the blog settings bash head. But I have you yippie...
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  6. Mack, my main Mastiff, you are one beautiful dog and we are your loyal Aussie fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all a bit sad here. he laps up the reiki sessions and special dinners - hes on 2 small meals a day to take with his pain meds so no upset tummies. He's not off his food which is heartening.Worst part of loving a pet is they get old.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  7. oh bless him, he is such a handsome boy and those eyes speak volumes. it's so hard when they are ageing, it tore my heart to watch Ellie slowing down and wearing out xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep it is horrible, his bed has been removed and carpet mats have been purchased, lots of bedding down on top as he just wasn't comfy in his bed. He sleeps on his tummy so stretches out more.
      Love leanne

      Delete
  8. Oh Mack you are a beautiful boy.... sadly ageing can't be slowed down.... so sweet that he puts on a brave face for Brent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep its been a hard week while Brent is at work. Mack is booked in for Tuesday for another appointment with the vet.

      Delete
  9. I hope the meds kick in and help him soon. Huge to all of you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the fun part of owning an old loved pet. We were just looking around the web to see what sort of dogs are about and came across a lot of old dogs in shelters - terribly sad. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=3908813

      http://jomoorephotographer.co.nz/ Jo Moore does photos for the ads amazing work!!
      Love leanne

      Delete
  10. Oh the poor boy. :( I have a 14 year old kitty who can't jump anymore and who takes meds. It is sad. But so far Sammy isn't in pain. Kit

    ReplyDelete

I