Sunday, 22 September 2013

Guess who

 One of the joys about getting an organic vegetable box is you never know what is inside - you can't pick, it is totally lucky dip. This ugly critter which really should be straight out of a Grimm's fairy story it is so gnarled and creepy looking. Such a piercing eye and oh that pug nose, complete with warts on top of its head. Show this to your kids and they will never want to eat vegetables again..

Did you guess it is celeriac? - a relative from the celery and parsley group
If choosing one from the shops best to check that the stalk end is firm.
.. .
 Once the skin is peeled it looks like most root vegetables - you have to work fast as it browns quickly. If using raw chop it and place in a bowl with lemon juice to help stop it going brown

Celeriac is commonly used with mashed potatoes but as that is my worst food experience of all (SHUDDER)  we only ever have mashed potatoes once a year on Cranberry Thanksgiving or if someone else cooks.

My favourite way of eating celeriac is in a salad.

3 cups of grated green apples (leave skin on)
2 cups of grated raw celeriac (peeled)
Toss all in juice of 1 lemon and 1 orange
add 1/4 cup raisins
1 small red onion diced finely
a good handful of chopped basil
salt and pepper.

The other celeriac root I will use in a  celeriac and leek soup.

 Garden...-
 This year I planted tulips in the vegetable garden - (as you do) to the left you can see the garlic is coming away. It's rather nice walking down to the cattery with the tulips in flower. We have had heavy rain and so far they are standing up to the rain.

Cottage Tails Farm Stay guests.

 I've been out of routine taking down the camera to the cattery  - James has been tucking up the cats the previous nights - he has a very soft spot for Indigo and oh my what a show she puts on for him.(she likes the men folk)


Indigo is not too pleased seeing me as I've been giving her some medicine from the vet. I tried the gentle approach of putting it on her paw for her to lick off - but no way she flicked that around the cattery and made a wonderful mess. I've got to be the meanie and do the scruff of the neck carry on and make her take it orally. Plus I've taken away all cat nuts and she is just getting wet food until her motions get working proper. Tinned tuna last night was mighty fine she thought. I think it feels like a private hospital stay for her rather than a holiday. Doesn't help that the weather has been heavy rain so no outdoor time

Fred is enjoying Indigo's company and crunching his cat nuts loudly knowing Indigo isn't allowed any at the moment. Fred has put on weight I might have to not fill his bowl up of nuts so high. Once it fines up he can get out in the outdoor run and do some work outs

I'll try and con one of the kids to help me get better photos today it's rather hard on ones own as the cats really just want snuggle time not to be  posing for a photo.

11 comments:

  1. oh how i love celeriac. i use it starting now all the way through spring. there is nothing quite like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celeriac is not a common vegetable in NZ - we only began eating it gosh 3 years ago when we started buying organic.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  2. I shall try your recipe, as I usually ea my celeriac mashed with steamed cauliflower.

    Your celeriac reminded me of the Terror fish, piloted by the Aquaphibians, in "Stingray" (1960's) TV show for kids. Remember Troy Tempest? :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL It sure does look like this. SMILE.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  3. ever tried that vege, looks like one ugly fish!
    Oh love your tulips!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celeriac is something that we never had before the organic box - has an unusual flavour - I prefer it raw grated in salad.

      The tulips are lovely! I hope to get into Wellington Botanical gardens to see their annual display this week.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  4. Hello Leanne,

    Thought you may have caught some sort of ugly blowfish for a while. Love the tulips.

    Happy days.
    Bev.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure love tulips - many of the red and white ones I have in the garden came from the Wellington botanical gardens.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  5. Never heard of that root but I Love the kitty! Too cute!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love having the cats we bred come to stay while their families go on holiday. We have just opened up the cattery for the public this month.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
    2. We love having the cats we bred come to stay while their families go on holiday. We have just opened up the cattery for the public this month.
      Love Leanne

      Delete

I